Prev Next

May 3, 2010

Motorcycles, MonaVie, and a Miracle

For MonaVie Ruby distributors John and Teresa Morros, raising their son Josh riding motorcycles became more than just a casual family event. As early as four years old, Josh starting racing motorcycles competitively. So in April 2008, it came as no surprise to John and Teresa when Josh decided to turn pro at the age of 16, the youngest ever in off-road motorcycle racing. Josh was quickly on his way to stardom and even finished 3rd overall in his pro debut and even led for much of the race.

For a kid who seemed to have the whole world in his hand, Josh and his family would soon have that world turn upside down.

Tragedy Strikes

On August 16, 2008, Josh was racing in the National Hare & Hound Race in Wendover, Nevada when tragedy struck.

“After racing two hours, I was looking to put the past on the leader, going about 80 mph, when I crashed and tumbled approximately 15 times with the bike hitting me several times finally resting on me with a face plant into the ground,”  said Josh.

Unconscious, Josh was flown to a hospital in Provo, Utah and diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, multiple bone fractures and abrasions and in a coma.  Josh’s initial prognosis was dire. Doctors informed John and Teresa the likelihood of Josh coming out of the coma was slim, and even if Josh did come out of the coma, his disabilities would be severe.

[caption id="attachment_1097" align="alignright" width="240" caption="After a horrific motorcycle crash, Josh Morros was flown to a hospital in Utah where he remained in a coma for 24 days."][/caption]

Two days after the accident doctor’s ran tests and were shocked to find tests showing Josh’s nutritional health was off the charts. In addition to a healthy diet, Josh would consume around 7500 calories a day, including half a bottle of MonaVie Active three to four days before a race to ensure proper energy reserves. Doctors said Josh’s health was paramount in providing Josh’s body a head start. As Josh’s parents waited at his bedside, Teresa started doing research about brain injuries as she refused to just “give up” on Josh.

An Awakening

For John and Teresa, the days were agonizing. Not only were they praying their injured son would wake up, but even if he did come out of his coma, was a recovery even possible?

After being in a coma for 24 straight days, on September 8, 2008 Josh awoke from his coma. While he could not talk, there were signs he was aware of who he was, and recognized those around him, certainly an answer to prayers of his family and friends. It was the start of a rigorous rehabilitation process as Josh had relearn how to do most things and Teresa made sure MonaVie was a part of that process.

“Four days after I woke I learned how to drink out of a straw and the doctors knew how important MonaVie was to my family and hospital and staff believed in good nutrition, so they allowed my mom to introduced the Active juice back into my diet giving me 6-8 ounces of juice two to three times a day.  My mom even had some of the nurses taking the gel packs instead of drinking coffee,” said Josh.

For weeks, Josh could not talk and struggled to rehab his injuries but soon Josh and Teresa’s hard work would pay off. Josh’s will to succeed and competitive nature served him well as he relearned how to drink from a straw, eat food, and eventually walk.  On October 2, 2008, Josh actually walked out of the hospital in Utah, and was released to finish up his rehab work, closer to home, in Reno, Nevada.  While Josh was supposed to stay in the Reno hospital for another month, it lasted only eight days as Teresa felt she had done enough research and could better care for Josh without all the hospital costs. Josh’s doctor in Reno was skeptical, but Josh simply stated, “He did not know my mom.”

Teresa set Josh up on a strict rehabilitation program and within a few weeks Josh went in for a brain checkup where doctors said his brain activity was normal.

[caption id="attachment_1098" align="alignright" width="267" caption="After coming out of a coma and suffering a shearing of the brain, Josh underwent a rigorous rehabilitation process."][/caption]

Josh’s reaction?


Four months later, Josh headed to the desert and went on his first trail ride on a motorcycle. In less than a year, Josh was able to obtain his driver’s license, was back in school and training to get back to riding motorcycles.

On September 26, 2009, Josh decided to return to Wendover, Nevada and race in the very event that nearly took his life a year earlier.

“I convinced my parents to let me race. I needed to prove to myself that I could do it. I finished the Wendover race that day after a long three plus hours. I was not the top dog, but I was satisfied with just finishing the race in one piece.”

MonaVie was there

Not only was MonaVie there for Josh to aid in his nutrition that aided his recovery, but the family also received support from the MonaVie community. During Josh’s recovery, friends were able to talk with Dr. Alexander Schauss during MonaVie’s 2008 convention. Dr. Schauss provided advice and prescriptions that significantly aided in Josh’s recovery.  Teresa even bought Dr. Schauss’ book Feed My Brain and followed his advice as part of Josh’s recovery.  In February, the Morros families reached Ruby Executive and were able to come to Utah and participate in the Ruby Fly-In.

“We are so grateful to MonaVie and the opportunity.  The entire time my mom was in Utah by my side she got paid every week so she could stay there with me,” said Josh.  “The MonaVie opportunity has given my parents the freedom to continue the care for me over the last year and seven months, our story would be different if my parents were forced to get traditional jobs….THANK YOU MONAVIE.”

[caption id="attachment_19624" align="alignright" width="238" caption="Josh Morros praying before the same race that left him in a coma two years earlier. Josh finished the race unharmed."][/caption]

A Special Weekend!

This past weekend, MonaVie was able to invite Josh and his family to Salt Lake City to visit MonaVie headquarters, meet our executive team and also a chance to meet AMA Supercross Hall of Famer and MonaVie distributor, Jeff Emig. Jeff was in town as the color analyst for the AMA Supercross Event and is a legend in the industry. The Morros family and Jeff Emig were able to tour MonaVie headquarters together, chat with MonaVie executives like Henry Marsh, CFO Devin Thorpe, Randy Larsen, Senior Vice President Jeff Graham and VP of Marketing Wayne Moorehead. The Morros family also received a nice present from Henry Marsh, the hottest ticket in town, tickets to game #6 of the Utah Jazz vs. Denver Nuggets NBA playoff game.

The following day, the family was able to attend the AMA Supercross event in Salt Lake City. Jeff Emig was kind enough to get the family tickets and despite rain and snow during the event, the family had a great time.

Teresa, John and Josh are an inspiration to many around them, and a testament to the power of MonaVie, having proper nutrition and never giving up. Today, Josh is still working his way back to riding competitively, and he and his parents will be taking their message with them. Teresa has already received inquiries from doctors and medical associations about their story and how proper nutrition can help aid brain injuries.

[caption id="attachment_1099" align="alignright" width="273" caption="The Morros Family and Jeff Emig tour HQ and meet MonaVie executives!"][/caption]

For those who wish to contact Teresa Morros and hear their story, email them at


Michael Jensen

Social Media Promotions Manager

Prev Next